Friday, September 11, 2009

Cedarwood and Awareness

I woke up this morning with sadness in the absense of my lover -- I can feel the emergence of two more oils (funny how they seem to come in pairs) -- however -- awarenss came to me (vimarsha) -- isn't it awareness that we need before moving on?  So I contemplated vimarsha, the cedarwood tree and the metaphor of the dawn -- how, when the light moves on the early horizon -- the colour of the tree begins to distinguish that tree -- how it looks, what kind of tree -- vimarsha (awareness)  -- whose emergence is virtually simultaneous with prakasha (the light) is the discernment and discrimination by which you recognize what you are seeing.  Even though - I may not be able to see/perceive with my physical eyes -- that tree is quivering with life in every moment, from the roots to the very last leaf.  In the same way -- the exquisite oil of the cedarwood tree carries that same vibrancy.  Indeed, the word alone comes from the Arabic meaning kedron, "power" -- its essence fortifies and strengthens, in addition to decongesting, breaking down accumulation.  The energy of cedarwood gives us strength in times of crisis, steadying the concious mind, restores a sense of spiritual certainty.  As I contemplate the cedarwood tree, with its roots deep into the earth, its trunk - straight, strong, reaching far up into the heavens - with its delicate tiny leaves on its strong branches --- demonstrating the transforming power of the will.  I can almost smell the deep viril, woody-balsamic aroma that assists me in taking a negative, or sad situation, and transform it into an experience from which I can derive strength and wisdom.    The experience of vimarsha -- discriminating and understanding what life is for us. Our understanding, our experience, our perception of the universe is an act of creation -- just as the dawn.
Like a mirror, vimarsha shows us ourselves and our creation.  Each of us has a face -- this is prakasha (pure illumination), existence -- but until we see that face reflected back to us through the capacity of vimarsha (self-enfolding knowledge), personified -- we have no idea what our face looks like.
I could see why I needed to finish this contemplation -- before moving into the two new oils that were beginning to have themselves felt.  Thank you cedarwood -- for your great gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment