Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Go Beyond the always-changing waves of one's own mind -- more on Frank

Guess I wasn't meant to get off of the subject of Frankincense today -- I thought I was -- but no -- so much more coming up from deep, rich frankincense.   As I contemplated  "wonder" in my last post,  I find myself reflecting back on the area where frankincense grows - the desert.  The contemplation of petrified waves of the sandy dunes -- stretching for miles, constantly shifting, changing, inspiring me to go beyond the always-changing waves of my own mind and connect with bare infinity and eternity.  This is a perfect contemplation for me today -- as I feel a bit lost in expansion of life at the moment -- is it wonder?  is it overwhelm? is it just the loss I feel?
more.....
In the desert -- the most extreme climate of the planet --  the raw, intense cosmic activity promotes the formation of gum and etheric oils.  Frankincense comes fromthe Bureseracae family -- known as Dry Fire -- where we also find Myrrh (another whole chapter).   From the middle east - particularly the Arabian peninsula -- very extreme climate --  you can detect a very thin cloud of these etheric oils around these plants, which filters the sun's rays and freshens the air around them - hence the strong anti-inflamatory action -- Burseraceae acts against the inner fire in the body.  Powerful action in bronchitis, cough, a known opponent to tumors.  Consider the intense heat and dryness of the desert -- ah, was indeed the bush of frankincense -- the "burning bush" we know of in the old scriptures!!!  Think about that thin cloud around the bush -- think of the intense heat --think of the wonder of it all!!   Wow!!! such a metaphor for where I am in my process right now!! 

Are you getting a sense of why this oil has been so powerful and used so much over antiquity!!  We often know it as being burned in churches and temples.  The Egyptian women, mixed the ash and made kohl - used around the eyes (today -- we call it make up) -- to keep the eyes cool.  (Yes! there is a practical reason for all things -- ususally -- we've lost that reason -- and make up a bunch of other reasons)

Blessins to our beloved frankincense plant that has brought so much to this world and bring so much into our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment